As many will have already heard, a transphobic event is due to be held at Portobello Library 14th March 6.15pm- 7.45pm, titled ’School and Gender Identity'.
Events like this are whipping up a moral panic about trans children by spreading misinformation and fear.
Over the past few months known gender critics have been targeting schools, families and local businesses with inflammatory leaflets, spreading misinformation about trans children.
Though couched in language of concern and free speech, this event is borne of bigotry and intended to fuel and foster anti-trans sentiment. Scratch the surface and it is abundantly clear that the central agenda of organisers is to undermine progress on LGBTQ+ inclusivity in schools, and trans equality and solidarity more widely.
Join us in saying no to hatred.
We are proud to collaborate with queer parents, families and community groups to share the following resources in response to their call to action. We hope this will facilitate engagement with what is happening and help as many as possible to play a part - in whatever way you can - in saying no to hatred, and in standing together against the spread of bigotry in our neighborhoods.
- Contact MSPs, the venue, and council members. (Email templates below)
- Join a counter protest on Tuesday
- Spread awareness and the message that hatred has no place in Edinburgh.
- Get informed. There are loads of resources out there that are rigorously researched and can help you counter anti-trans rhetoric. (Some of those are signposted below)
These templates are intended for guidance, including facts gathered from the event page & associated groups, formalities/formatting, as well as observations and demands from local community members. Please do edit them to reflect your own experiences, thoughts and concerns - for many of us this is deeply personal, that's ok.
Email 1: to library re Proposed Transphobic Event 14th March 2023 - HERE
Email 2: in response to expected reply regarding freedom of speech as advised by Edinburgh council, usually from Andrew McTaggart - HERE
Email 3: Email re public safety at transphobic event in Edinburgh - HERE
Email 4: Letter to local MSPs Re: Transphobic event at Portobello library - HERE
Email 5: Letter to local MSPs Re: Transphobic event at Portobello library - HERE
Complaint to Go Fund Me for fraudulent crowdfunder info - HERE
Notes on the counter protest
(we will update as we receive more information)
A counter protest is due to be held outside Portobello library from 5.30pm (full details to follow, please note we are not the organisers, merely supporters.)
- Please familiarise yourself with SCALP safe protest guidelines - HERE
SCALP also has this Know Your Rights briefing HERE
- Arrive and leave in pairs.
- Be aware there will likely be a local police presence and private security.
- Do not engage directly with attendees or protestors on your own.
- Please be mindful of library staff, they have to do their job and are already having a hard time being placed in the middle of this (we love our library!)
- Wear a mask and inconspicuous clothing so you are not easily identifiable.
- Bring water, good humour and solidarity.
Local Groups involved in Trans solidarity (and other wonderful things):
- rs21 (Who have written about the connections between transphobic hate groups & the far right and whose recent event on the GRA & democracy can be watched here:
We also recommend this event with Katy Montgomerie offering invaluable insight into the Gender Critical movement:
Please do get in touch if you have further resources to signpost.